It’s cold outside. Winter is a great time to get away to a tropical destination. If you need a warm getaway, but can’t decide where to go…I’ve got you covered:
- For the Scuba Diver: Belize. So, it’s pretty cool to scuba dive the Blue Hole. I’m pretty sure that’s on most diver’s bucketlists. The Blue Hole is an awesome dive, but don’t forget about the other dive sites in the area. After I dove the Blue Hole, I went to a dive site where I was surrounded by about 10 sharks. Remember that the Blue Hole is deep. Really deep. So be careful with your underwater camera. I learned that lesson the hard way…
- For the Nature Lover: Maui. If you love nature, go to Maui and drive the Road to Hana. It’s so incredibly diverse. From bamboo forests to red sand beaches, the Road to Hana has it all.
- For Pristine Beaches: St. Lucia. St. Lucia is still relatively unaffected by tourism compared to other Caribbean destinations. The roads are unpaved and there are potholes everywhere. It is still very lush and there aren’t hotels upon hotels like other islands. I know St. Lucia has a reputation for being a romantic destination, but I went alone and had the time of my life. Also, make sure to hike the Pitons. Gros Piton is the taller and easier Piton. The views are incredible.
- For the Partier: Aruba. Aruba is filled with bars and casinos. People in Aruba like to party and it’s definitely one of the more lively islands I’ve been to.
- For Diverse Experiences: Virgin Islands. The Virgin Islands – both U.S. and British – have a lot to offer. The hustle-and-bustle of St. Thomas is a stark contrast with calm St. John. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are absolutely stunning rock formations. And you can easily take day trips from one island to the other – they are all relatively close.
- For the Family: Bahamas. The Atlantis in the Bahamas could not be a better destination for families. Children can be entertained for days on end with the water parks, and parents can have fun in the casino and at the new adult-only pool. Plus there are plenty of excursions and day activities.